About the Jewish Newcomers Program
The Jewish Newcomers Program is designed to assist newcomers through their transition to the Greater New Orleans area, help them feel at home and welcome in our Jewish community, and encourage them to stay and settle long-term in
The Jewish community of Greater New Orleans dates back more than 250 years and continues to thrive to this day, with Jews of all denominations collaborating closely to ensure a vibrant and engaged future. Branded by The Jewish Week as the “new mecca of tikkun olam [repairing the world],” the Greater New Orleans Jewish community offers both a rich history and a fresh and youthful approach to communal life - from JNOLA to Moishe House to AVODAH. Our mid-sized community offers all of the benefits of a large city with the hospitality of a small town - with kosher dining options, a Jewish community day school, two Jewish Community Centers and nine synagogues to explore.Social and networking events help newcomers meet others and community leaders and build personal and professional connections within the Jewish community. Whether they are looking for a place to celebrate Shabbat or need advice on restaurants or places to live, the Jewish Newcomers Program is here to help newcomers transition, feel at home and become active members of the New Orleans Jewish community. Click here for more information
• Discounted 1st and 2nd Year Memberships to the Jewish Community Center
• Complimentary 1st Year Membership and discounted 2nd Year Membership to any area synagogue of your choice
• Complimentary One Year Memberships provided by the National Council of Jewish Women and Hadassah
• Financial assistance towards tuition at the Community Day School
• Discount coupons to local restaurants and businesses
• Social events, professional networking opportunities, enriching and educational programs, and community service opportunities to introduce newcomers to each other and representatives from area agencies, synagogues and businesses
• Home hospitality for Shabbat and Jewish holidays
• Job and housing search assistance
• General support and outreach
*Please note that there is no automatic entitlement to these benefits. All benefits are dependent upon the applicant's eligibility, to be decided on a case-by-case basis by the Jewish Federation of Greater New Orleans.
5 Year Anniversary Celebration
Over 130 newcomers and community leaders came together to celebrate the five year anniversary of the Jewish Newcomers Program at a wonderful evening cocktail reception. Newcomers from all years attended including those from 2007 and those who just arrived in 2012. Guests enjoyed appetizers and desserts and toasted the special milestone with champagne!
Over 150 people attended our Spring Newcomers Party to welcome newcomers to the New Orleans Jewish community. Newcomers mingled with community members and leaders, enjoyed appetizers and cocktails, and heard about exciting developments taking place for young professionals in NOLA from guest speaker Michael Hecht.